Down Payment Assistance Loan Program
The City is offering down payment assistance loans to first-time homebuyers to provide assistance in the purchase of a home within the City of Santa Ana. Funds will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis. A first-time homebuyer may be eligible to borrow up to $80,000 with 0% interest rate.
- Borrower(s) must be a first time homebuyer (a person with no ownership interest in, or who has not held ‘title’ to a principal residence during the three-year period preceding the purchase of the property).
- Borrower(s) must be a resident of Santa Ana and/or work in Santa Ana at least 32 hours per week for at least the last 6 months.
- Complete a minimum of eight (8) hours of in-person homeownership training offered by a counseling center approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Must have at least three percent (3%) of the purchase price for a down payment from seasoned funds (at least 90 days seasoned). Three most-recent bank statements are required to verify seasoned funds. Seasoned funds cannot be from gift funds. Gift funds may contribute towards the purchase; gift funds may not exceed 3% of purchase price.
- Must be pre-qualified for a 1st Mortgage and have a positive credit history and obtain a fixed-rate first mortgage. Co-signers and variable rate loans are not allowed.
- Total Annual Income of the household, meaning all persons residing in the home as their principal place of residence, cannot exceed the income limits established below:
- 0% Interest rate
- Owner-Occupied for life of loan
- Repayment of the City loan principle balance will be required at the end of the 45-year term of affordability.
- Santa Ana Student Incentive: Prospective homebuyer that graduated from a high school located in Santa Ana and has a 4-year college degree is eligible for a loan forgiveness up to $40,000 ($10,000 will be forgiven every five (5) years up to a twenty-year period)