Community Development Agency
Meeting Day, Time and Place
3rd Thursday of the month
City Council Chamber
22 Civic Center Plaza
Santa Ana, CA 92701
The arts and culture commission shall have the following powers and duties:
(a) The commission shall act as an advisory body to the City Manager and the City Council and make recommendations regarding but not limited to:
(1) Policies, priorities and plans for the development and improvement of arts and cultural activities in Santa Ana, and, in conjunction with other appropriate agencies, in the greater Santa Ana area.(b) The commission shall also advocate for arts education, cultural diversity, the Sister Cities Program, and other initiatives that further the growth and sustainability of the arts and cultural community in Santa Ana area.
(2) Coordinating with the private sector and other governmental agencies in promoting arts and cultural excellence as a tool for the encouragement of economic development, business relocation and tourism.
(3) Organizing and promoting activities which celebrate the City and its unique cultural heritage.
(4) Allocation and budgeting of funds for arts and cultural funding.
(5) Payments for the design, execution and placement of public art projects, within established appropriations for the art projects.
(6) Encouraging the use of local artists in City public art projects.
(7) Guidelines for accepting, selecting, purchasing, commissioning, placing and preserving art projects and other City art acquisitions, gifts or extended loans of art.
(8) Make recommendations to the city council on de-accessioning of artworks, when necessary;
(c) In addition, the Commission shall have such other powers and duties as may be appropriate in carrying out the purposes and goals of this Division and as set forth in reports or recommendations adopted by the City Council.
(d) Consider matters referred to it by the City Manager or the City Council.
The arts and culture commission shall consist of seven (7) members. Members of the commission should be persons who are concerned about arts and cultural issues in the City of Santa Ana and should be persons who have professional expertise or substantial volunteer involvement in the following areas: Visual, performing or literary arts; Architecture, design or urban planning; Education; History; Science, film; or Arts and cultural institution management. The commissioners shall be subject to appointment and removal and shall serve terms in accordance with section 901 of the Charter of the City of Santa Ana.
- Qualified elector of the City of Santa Ana
- Can not be a treasurer of a Political Action Committee
- Members prohibited from holding any paid office or employment in the city government