General municipal elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even-numbered years.
The City Council is made up of a Mayor and six Councilmembers, for a total of seven members. These positions are elected by Santa Ana Voters at large, and elections are held every two years. The offices of Mayor and City Council are non-partisan.
The Mayor serves a term of two years, while Councilmembers each serve a four-year term. At the next City election, to be held on November 8, 2016, Wards 1, 3, 5, and the Mayor's seat will be up for election.
To be eligible to be elected to the office of councilmember, a person must be a qualified voter and a thirty (30) day resident of the ward from which the candidate is nominated at the time nomination papers are issued as provided for in the Elections Code of the State of California, except that the mayor need only be a registered voter and thirty (30) day resident of the City at such time.
For specific questions regarding the election process, please contact the Clerk of the Council at (714) 647-6520.
2016 GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
Last Day to Register to Vote
Monday, October 24th at midnight
City Council and Mayor Seats
- Candidate Handbook and Resource Guide
- Calendar of Deadlines
- 2016 List of Candidates and Ballot Designations
Ward 1 Candidates
Ward 3 Candidates
- Jose Solorio
- David De Leon
- Ana Urzua Alcaraz
- Juve Dan Pinedo
- Patrick D. "Mr Patrick" Yrarrazaval-Correa
- Joshua Mauras
- Shane Ramon Barrows
Ward 5 Candidates
- Text of Proposed Measure
- Impartial Analysis
- Arguments in Favor (filed by Councilmembers Benavides, Reyna and Amezcua)
- Arguments in Opposition (filed by West End COP, President of the Board Thomas Gordon, Michael Tardif, Santa Ana resident and business owner, and Steven Nguyen, resident)
Misc. Election Info.
- Campaign Contribution Statements filed (2012 to present)
- Campaign Contribution Limits
- Campaign Contribution Statements - General Information and Deadlines
- Orange County Voter Registrar's Office (General Information)
- Council Ward Map
- Past Election Results