Doing more with less energy is key to building a sustainable future. One way the City of Santa Ana is helping to achieve this is through the Energy Efficiency Partnership.
Launched in cooperation with Southern California Edison (SCE) on November 5, 2007, the Energy Efficiency Partnership is dedicated to helping Santa Ana residents and businesses enjoy more benefits while consuming less electricity. Through the Partnership, we're helping to lower costs, reduce pollution and put less strain on our power grid.
Surprisingly, increased energy efficiency is not that difficult to achieve - Especially if we all work together!
Why Should You Care About Energy Efficiency?
Virtually every aspect of our lives depends on a predictable flow of affordable electricity. Yet this energy comes at a cost. To our environment. And to our wallets.
When you save electricity:
- You save money.
- You reduce pollution.
- You help fight global warming.
- You help avoid “rolling blackouts.”
- You reduce the need for new power plants.
- You make a difference!
How the Energy Efficiency Partnership Will Benefit You.
The City of Santa Ana/Southern California Edison Energy Efficiency Partnership has launched a variety of programs to help you increase energy efficiency at home and at work. The more you participate, the more you’ll save!
Please join our partnership in making a difference! Call the Energy Efficiency Hotline at 714-647-5099.
Become More Energy Efficient Today!
Here are some ways you can start being more energy efficient at home and at work - today!
The City of Santa Ana is Committed to Energy Efficiency
- Before the partnership was signed, the City and Southern California Edison (SCE) held a free lamp exchange event, replacing 7,340 units with an annual 541,999 kWh savings.
- The City and SCE launched their 2008 Energy Efficiency Partnership at the Cesar Chavez Celebration and conducted “Energy Efficiency 101” training for PWA employees. The events distributed 275 compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) with an annual 9,625 kWh savings.
- Free In-home Energy Surveys were offered to Santa Ana residents to help them save money on energy bills. Edison completed surveys with an annual 151,638 kWh savings.
- Free lamp exchange event held in the Wal-Mart parking lot on West McFadden Avenue, exchanging 7,584 units with an annual 596,387 kWh.
- Business Direct Install Program offered to small businesses in the Federal Empowerment Zone, providing up to $10,000 worth of energy efficient upgrades to each business at no cost. Edison contractors completed Direct Install Retrofits for 198 small businesses, which received a total of $353,239 in free equipment and labor. This represents an annual 880,136 kWh savings.
- SCE featured the Partnership in its Power Bulletin newsletter.
- The Energy Efficiency Partnership web page is added to the Santa Ana Green home page, and an RFP for a Strategic Energy and Resource Protection Plan is developed.
- The Partnership joins in the Fiestas Patrias downtown celebration and distributed energy efficiency public education information and 5,000 free CFLs to attendees, representing an annual 175,000 kWh savings.
- The Energy Efficiency Partnership partners with Neighborhood Housing Services of Orange County on the 19th Annual Neighborhood Pride Day 2008.
- Free Employee Holiday Light Exchange is held at the City Yard and City Hall. Employees exchanged nearly 1,500 strands of holiday lights valued at $19,647 that save an annual 67,500 kWh.
- The staff partners with The Peterson Group (TPG), a marketing and public education firm hired by the City, to develop an Energy Efficiency Kit to be delivered to all single-family, duplex, and triplex residences in Santa Ana. The Kits were delivered door-to-door to almost 39,000 homes and will create an annual 2,278,782 kWh savings.
Even More Successes
- Refrigerator Pickup – Throughout the year, the Partnership offered refrigerator/freezer pick-up from residents and businesses, with rebates of up to $50. Thirteen units were recycled, creating an annual savings of 22,000 kWh.
- Water Production – Two water project retrofits were completed (wells #28 and #38) that will save 535,679 kWh annually. These upgrades earned the City $107,136 in incentives from SCE.
- School Programs – SCE’s Living Wise program was delivered to 14 schools and 1,000 students, providing them with Energy Efficiency Kits to take home that represent an annual 42,000 kWh savings.
Overall, the Partnership achieved an annual kWh savings of 5,302,496. The original budget of $200,000 provided access to programs and free materials valued at $1,129,746.50 via additional SCE programs funneled through the Partnership.
In 2009, the City will be developing a baseline study of its carbon footprint. Following the baseline, the City will finalize guidelines for a Strategic Energy and Resource Protection Plan. The Plan will identify and target new opportunities to create long-term energy savings, reduce peak load, generate solar power, and expand energy efficiency measures in innovative ways in Santa Ana.
From 2009 through 2011 the City expects to spend $1.2 million on the installation of additional energy efficient motors in City water wells and for well rehabilitation improvements. This will create an estimated annual savings of 1.1 million kWh per year.