Energy Efficiency At Home
- Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs).
- Replace or clean furnace filters regularly and get a furnace tune-up. Keeping your furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted can save up to 5% on heating costs.
- Heat with solar! In the winter, open drapes and curtains on south-facing windows to heat your home with sunlight. Close drapes and curtains to retain heat at night.
- In the summer, keep south-facing windows covered, and open those on the northern, cooler side of the house. Use fans to circulate air.
- Replace your old, inefficient furnace with an ENERGY STAR-qualified model. Take advantage of utility rebates of $200 - use up to 20% less energy this winter*. Visit www.socalgas.com.
- Turn down the thermostat. Lowering the temperature three to five degrees can save you 10% to 20% on heating costs.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat.
- Switch your refrigerator to the “Power Miser” setting.
- Set your refrigerator temperature to 36-39°F (2-3°C). Set freezer to 0-5°F (-18 to-15°C).
- Use the right size pots and pans on your electric burners. Cover pots and pans while cooking.
- Install proper ceiling, wall, and attic insulation and weather-strip doors and windows to save up to 25% on heating costs. Take advantage of duct sealing and leakage testing incentives of $0.15 per square foot*. Visit www.socalgas.com
- Choose an energy efficient water heater and qualify for a $30 rebate*. Visit www.sce.com and www.socalgas.com. Adjust your water heater thermostat to 120°F or less and save 10% to 15% on water heating costs.
- Replace your older clothes washer with a qualifying high-efficiency model, which uses 35% to 50% less water. Many of these new models qualify for $35 rebates. Visit www.socalgas.com. Wash in cold water to save even more.
- Install low-flow showerheads to conserve water and save 5% to 10% on water heating costs. Showers can account for up to 50% of your hot water usage.
- Purchase an ENERGY STAR-qualified dishwasher and run it only when it is full. Use the air-dry option instead of the heat-dry. Check and clean the dishwasher drain.
* Funding for rebates is limited and may be subject to change or termination without notice.