To provide our Library visitors with good service in a pleasant atmosphere, each visitor is expected to observe the following Rules of Conduct:
- Refrain from disturbing or offending others. Personal electronic equipment such as CD and cassette players is allowed with earphones as long as other library users are not disturbed. In consideration of others, cellular telephone conversations, the use of televisions, etc. are prohibited in the Library.
- Damaging, destroying or stealing library property is prohibited. PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS ARE LIABLE FOR ALL ACTS OF MINORS. [Education Code 19910 and 19911]. Library users may be asked to present briefcases, book bags and purses for inspection when the detection alarm is activated as they exit the building. To prevent the theft of books and other library materials, state law authorizes the detention for a reasonable period of any person using these facilities suspected of committing "library theft" [Penal Code Section 490.5].
- The Library may call the proper authorities when children 10 years of age and under are left on the Library premises unaccompanied by an older, responsible person and/or when unattended minors (under age 18):
- Are being disruptive.
- Are being habitually left unattended for long periods of time.
- Are at risk of coming to harm (as in the case of a minor being left when the Library closes).
- Riding skateboards, roller-skates/blades or scooters, climbing on building walls, planter walls, rooftops or other areas that create a safety concern or cause damage to Library property is prohibited. Wheeled sporting equipment is not permitted inside the Library.
- Eating, drinking, smoking or sleeping in the building is prohibited.
- Loitering, soliciting, gambling, being intoxicated or under the influence of illegal substances on the Library premises is prohibited.
- Bringing shopping carts, sleeping bags, bed rolls, blankets or other large items into the building is not permitted.
- Visitors must wear shoes and be fully clothed at all times.
- Using restrooms for bathing or laundering purposes is not allowed.
- Bringing animals into the building, with the exception of properly licensed guide or service dogs accompanying a blind or disabled person, is prohibited. (By definition, "animal" includes all living things that are not plants or people, i.e., birds, fish & reptiles).
- Playing cards or games, including electronic games, that are not a part of a Library activity is not permitted.
PATRONS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE RULES OF CONDUCT WILL BE REQUESTED TO LEAVE THE LIBRARY PREMISES.
The Library reserves the right to call the Santa Ana Police Department for assistance.
The Library is not responsible for any items lost, stolen or misplaced on Library property.