The Fourth of July and the celebration of our nation’s birthday are coming up quickly. The City of Santa Ana wants to remind every one that only California State Fire Marshal approved Safe and Sane fireworks may be purchased, possessed or discharged within the city.
To better assist the various non-profit groups, charitable organizations, schools and religious institutions, the Building Safety Division has provided the following information regarding the application, permitting and inspection process for fireworks stands in the City.
Santa Ana is one of six Orange County cities where safe and sane fireworks are permitted for sale. The Santa Ana Municipal Code restricts the total number of fireworks stands within the city to (85). In years where there are less than (85) applications received the City will hold a lottery to allow new qualifying non-profit organizations to fill any vacant spots. Please feel free to contact Patricia Link at (714) 647-5856 with any questions.
April 15th - All lottery applications must be received by the Building Safety Division by 5:00 p.m.
April 21st - Lottery drawing held.
May 1st - All applications for returning groups must be received by the Building Safety Division by 5:00 p.m.
June 1st - All fireworks booth permit applications submitted with insufficient information or missing documentation must be corrected.
June 15th - First day that temporary fireworks stands may by erected or constructed on any premises.
June 17th - Information meeting regarding fireworks sales and booth regulations.
Location: City Hall Council Chambers (20 Civic Center Plaza)
Time: 6:00 p.m.
July 1st - Fireworks sales may commence beginning at 12:00 p.m. (Must be inspected and approved to open)
July 4th - Firework sales must conclude by 9:00 p.m.
July 11th - All booths must be removed and the sites cleaned in order to receive clean premises deposit back.
Applications should be routed through a recognized fireworks vendor prior to being sent to the City for further processing.
- Fireworks program administration: $100.00 per stand per Santa Ana Municipal Code [Chapter 21, Section 120(f)]
- Electrical Permit (if required): $89.84
- Orange County Fire Authority Fee: Please contact OCFA at: (714) 573-6180
- Clean premises deposit: $179.69 (to be refunded if fireworks stand is removed and site is clean by July 11, 2015)
Inspection Information (714) 547-5495:
Fireworks stands that require an electrical permit (most do) are required to get two (2) different inspections:
- Electrical inspection performed by a City of Santa Ana Building Inspector.
- Fireworks Stand Inspection performed by the Orange County Fire Authority Inspector.
For more information about the Orange County Fire Authority's fees and inspection requirements for fireworks stands, please call
(714) 573-6180 or visit http://www.ocfa.org/Menu/Departments/FirePrevention/SpecialEvents.aspx.