Alleged Employee Misconduct Report
Who is Professional Standards?
Professional Standards is staffed by three police sergeants, a police corporal, and two part-time office assistants. This unit is responsible for investigating allegations of employee misconduct, officer-involved shootings, in-custody deaths, civil claims, as well as conducting organizational audits and representing the Department in providing records during various court hearings.
Professional Standards Mission Statement
“…Our unwavering mission is to provide professional service to every member of the community by conducting thorough, impartial, and ethical Investigations regarding alleged misconduct. We treat each community member, and employee with fairness, dignity and respect at all times. It is through this principled commitment to honor and integrity that we uphold the values of the Santa Ana Police Department.”
Types of Complaints
- Community Complaints: Complaints initiated by members of the public that allege employee misconduct.
- Internal Complaints: Complaints initiated from within the Santa Ana Police Department regarding alleged employee misconduct.
In every case, alleged employee misconduct is thoroughly investigated and the findings are submitted to the Chief of Police for his review and final approval.
Investigation Findings - Terminology
- Unfounded: Allegation is false or not factual.
- Exonerated: The incident occurred but was lawful and proper.
- Sustained: The allegation is supported by sufficient evidence to justify conclusion that misconduct occurred.
- Not Sustained: We are unable to determine the validity of the complaint, or that one version of the events can prevail over the other.