SAPD's Ride-Along Program provides members of the community with an opportunity to experience how the police department handles calls for service.
Due to the high volume of ride-along requests, we have established the following guidelines:
- Must be a current resident of Santa Ana and at least 16 years of age.
- Authorization must be approved by the Chief of Police or the Watch Commander. To apply, contact the Station Supervisor at (714) 245-8701 at least two weeks prior to the desired date.
- An Accident Waiver must be signed by all participants. If the participant is under 18 years old, the parent of this minor is also required to sign. This waiver frees our insurance carrier and the department from any liability in the unlikely event that an injury is sustained during a ride along.
- Remember that police work by its very nature is dangerous. The officer assigned to the ride-along will take all reasonable precautions to minimize your exposure to dangerous events or conditions.
- Ride-alongs are permitted on day and evening patrol shifts between 6:00 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. Generally, ride alongs last 8 hours.
- Dress in clean and neat, semi-casual clothing. Remember to dress for the weather. Officers typically drive with their windows rolled down (to hear better) regardless of the temperature.
- Cameras and video and tape recorders are NOT allowed to be carried on ride alongs.
- Remember NOT to interfere with officers while they are performing their duties. Save your questions for the officer after the incident has been handled.