The Watch Commanders of the Patrol Division are responsible for the daily operation of patrol on each of the three patrol shifts.
The Patrol Division is the largest single unit in the department. The primary role of the Watch Commander is to provide city-wide supervision to Patrol personnel and operational command of all emergencies, serious incidents, major crime scenes, and non-emergency calls for service.
The specific areas of responsibilities include:
- Functional supervision of all personnel assigned to each shift
- Tactical field operations
- Emergency planning
- Coordination of mutual aid incidents
- Media relations - in the absence of the Public Information Officer
- Department and Jail building security during non-business hours
Watch Commanders interface with each of the four district division commanders to ensure that problem oriented policing projects are facilitated, community policing issues are addressed, and all field resources are employed in the most effective manner possible.